December 15, 2015 at 9:41 pm #880
Other update on the build as it relates to the alternator. I debated for a LONG time on where I would pickup my alteration from. Napa, Powermaster, Rock Auto, etc. I’ve settled on a local shop to build me an alternator around 160 amps. I really debated on going with Power Quality, which is where Slammed 64 went to: http://www.qualitypowerauto.com as they make KILLER products. 150, 200 or 250 amp. Anyway, I have a local shop building mine as this made the most sense for my built and allowed me to spend a tad less but still have no shipping cost. My Ron Francis Wiring kit has the Ford 3rd / 4th gen alternator wiring, which the shop will of course build to plug in. I should have it in a few days.
More to come!December 19, 2015 at 7:05 pm #881
Starting to figure out where I’ll hide the relays so I got the door panels out and started looking at what I need to do.
Glued the plastic back together here:
Alternator I had the local shop build. Turns out he use to have a guy there that rebuilt the water pumps for Lincoln Land but ended up with health problems and retired. He said the guy went over to LL and did a tutorial before he officially retired.
New alternator plugged into the Ron Francis Wiring
Got it mocked up today. Family emergency prevented me from putting in any more work on it. I did run to Ace Hardware to snag the bolts I needed for the casing since it is different than the factory casing. M10 bolt and M8 I think.
As always, more to come!January 9, 2016 at 8:59 pm #910
Good news bad news. Bad news I’m pulling the motor. During my clean-up of the 462 and taking it to shows etc. water got on the valley pan and ended up making it’s way down the back center bolt, which I didn’t have totally bolted down. For some reason the same size bolt as the other valley pan bolts (allen heads) needed to be shorter (back middle) and I’ve learned my lesson. Water made it’s way down there and now I’m going to blow the bottom end of the motor apart. Well I’m taking it to my favorite machine shop to blow the block apart, clean everything and reassemble everything. The good news is the rear main seals I never changed will get done… plus the entire motor will be pretty much brand new. Gonna dow new rings and hopefully will have minimal internals I’ll need to change. Although this is a minor setback I’m still highly motivated to get the car back on the road. While the motor is pulled I’ll get the entire engine bay painted, including some graphics I have up my sleeve.. I’ll have the battery tray welded in the factory spot and also have another battery tray added on the passenger side behind the motor (like Slammed_64 did). Yeah its a set back and something I caused however I’m taking it with a sense of now I can get more stuff done so this motor is bulletproof and I’ll never have to pull it again. Much more updates to come. Car is back in my home workshop.. first time ever inside at my place. I have a week’s vacation coming up soon and I’ll have the motor out in a few hours. Heads, fan, manifolds, etc. are all already off.
Other good news is I got the steering reservoir filter in.I do know that John Cashman and others have stated it is not necessary however I had already purchased it and my mechanic, whom I mentioned before is friends with John, said why not throw it in. Once the motor is back in he is going to come to my place to help me dial it in before it is cranked over.January 10, 2016 at 2:46 am #935
Sorry to hear the bad news! But I’m sure you’ll have it back together in no time.
As always, I look forward to the updates!
Resistance is Futile.January 11, 2016 at 9:21 pm #957
Thanks Jeremy. I’m pedal to the metal to get err done. Appreciate the comments!January 21, 2016 at 9:08 pm #986
So the motor ended up being fine. Long story short I installed the torque converter incorrectly. The plugs were not going thru the openings on the flex plate correctly. Nothing got damaged but having the motor ripped apart gave me the opportunity to get it cleaned up more. I have new gaskets coming to once again install the heads and get it back together. I also took some more parts to get powder coated. So more updates to come.
More updates on the car. Waiting on new gaskets from BakersAuto I decided to finally install the Vintage Air Compac Gen II setup. Followed the instructions and things are going great. See the pics below. Also, I picked up a new rag joint rebuild kit although it was an open package and it is missing a couple of parts. I’m going to take it back and swap it out.
Straps are from Home Depot. The mounts didn’t work exactly as I’d hoped for the Linc but no biggie. I spent less than $4 on the one metal strap from Home Depot:
I’ve got a hose kit coming, which I never ordered. I know someone at Vintage Air so he suggested it today and I went ahead and made the purchase. Here is the hose kit I ordered: 547000: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/vta-547000 // this is the Vintage Air AC setup I decided with, although mine is slightly different its generally the same: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/vta-68000-vuz-a
I did leave some room to move the setup a tad depending on how the dash fits. Mounting the kit was not bad at all. Running the wires cleanly etc. takes a good bit of time. Of course with my OCD I actually enjoy that part the most.
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.